Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween!

I've been busy and blah and nothing exciting going on so I didn't blog as much or as awesomely as I'd like to.

First: I was Joan Harris from Mad Men for Halloween. I think I did a pretty good job.



















Unfortunately no one at the party watches Mad Men. So it wasn't the hit to everyone that is was to me.

What's your costume?

Also I went the distance! I completed 100miles on the arc trainer and treadmill. I signed up for the Going the Distance challenge for October. Here are some question Robbie asked as a conclusion to the challenge:

1) How do you think you did over the course of the month?
Flipping awesome! Well started strong and then fizzled but got the work done! So yeah Freaking AWESOME!
2) Did you overestimate or underestimate your capabilities? Why is this? Is this representative of a larger trend in your life?
WELL.. I originally signed up for 100miles doing the treadmill and elliptical. I soon realized the arc trainers at the gym did not go far and were WAY harder than an elliptical. On the arc trainer it would take 30 mins just to go 1 miles. If the arc trainers had gone as fast as I thought I would've underestimated myself, but since it was harder I perfectly estimated myself. It was definitely a challenge but I'm not in pain or 20miles from my goal.
3) Did you learn anything about yourself while doing this?
I learned instead of sitting at a computer I can help myself! I work at gym and everyday I clean bathrooms, wipe down machines, vacuum etc. But it only takes 90mins to do all the chores and I used to spend the other 90mins of my shift doing crosswords and sodukos. I started walking on the treadmill slowly. I'm always in view of the door and have the phone with me. I feel so much better adding simple walking to my day!
4) Can you apply what you've learned in #OctGTD somewhere else in your life?
I really know fitness can fit anywhere in my day. Walking to the bank, or library, is simple but effective. That's something people always say but this challenge really made me fit more walking into my life.
5) What was the hardest part of the challenge? (physical? mental/psychological?)
Not changing that initial number. The first day I was on the elliptical and only went 1.5miles in 45mins I knew it was going to be a lot harder than I thought. I really wanted to lower that number multiple times but I just kept at it. Also my legs hurt! Makes me wonder about training for a half marathon, my legs will be jelly all the time!
6) What do you think you did really well this month? (doesn't have to be about #OctGTD)
I went the distance! I pushed myself and worked out longer than I thought I could. Usually I do 1/2 hr of intense cardio but this month it was more about going for a long time. There a totally different attitude about pushing myself for a 1/2hr and just walking but for 90mins!
7) What do you think you could improve on? (again, doesn't have to be about #OctGTD)
I need to work on food, especially over the coming holidays. I realized with my Halloween party, I can't control myself yet and I need to work on that. Making healthy recipes and not grazing are the major goals!
8) No matter the numbers you already entered, are you going to finish strong, or taper off?
I'd have to say I tapered. For the first 2 weeks I did over 25 miles. Third week was only 23.5 but the total was 75miles in 21 days. THEN it took me 10 days to go just the last 25miles. There were 5 days I didn't do anything! The chocolate downed my energy, I got tired, blah blah blah I could've been done with this earlier or done shorter workouts more consistently.
9) Did you go the distance? And no, I don't mean did you hit 100% of your goal... did you put yourself out there and really try for it? Is 80% still something you can be proud of?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got back from the gym where I did the last 5 miles. I did taper off so I could've finishes with 4 workouts of 2 miles instead of one 3 miles and tonight of 5miles. I'm really proud because I really did have to push myself. I feel much better about doing distances/activity than weight specific. I can push myself to move but sometimes the scale doesn't move how it should at the right time. I'm definitely ready to go the distance or something in November.

1 comment: