Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Book Review

Hey All,

So I have been a bit of a debbie downer the past few days but I want this to be a true review. I read the book, "Mastering Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. I got it from the library but it's in demand so I could only keep it for 2 weeks instead of the usual 4 weeks on other books. To quickly get to the point overall I would not recommend this book. I think it is aimed at people who are working very hard to maintain their weight, or cannot lose those last 10 lbs. I am a person who need to lose like 60lbs and is lactose intolerant.

The overall message is that all the chemicals in our daily lives has messed up the balance of hormones in our bodies causing a slew of problems. There is a lot of information on where all these chemicals come from and what they do to our bodies, like BPA is a type of plastic in bottles and also the inside of fruit and vegetable cans and can increase the risk for diabetes and some cancers (pg74). She cites problems like too little sleep, too many crash diets, too much overindulgence, and of course too many chemicals everywhere.

So what are you supposed to do? Remove, Restore, Rebalance. First go organic, get rid of anything processed, then eat those organic foods, and lastly eat every 4 hrs so there is a consistent energy supply and exercise. There is great info about the foods to in/decrease if you have certain problems, like PCOS or a thyroid condition. And there is a lot on how many chemicals surround us and what those cause to happen in our bodies. There are menus and recipes.

Problems: I'm lactose intolerant. Maybe this apparent problem will go away if I eat all organic and perfect. I don't know but she does say to nix soy milk!! Also I'm a grad student which means no money! I can't afford to buy organic, heck sometimes I don't buy fresh veggies because of the price and fact that they'll go bad. Also not sure what family of 4 with picky kids (who certianly waste food) would do, a sudden switch to organic would mess up the family budget. I understand that eating organic can prevent health problems and health cost in the future but a college student needs rent.

For me I'll have no problem returning this to the library. If you are like me and saying why did I eat that whole bag of chips then I'd say it's a pass. If you are working out all the time and eating constricted calories saying why am I working so hard something is wrong, then go get this book!

Happy Reading, and keep eating right and moving!
Moving Mertle

1 comment:

  1. Check around for organic produce, like at a local farmer's market. I agree the price of the organic stuff at the regular grocery store is high. Remember too, that you aren't buying potato chips & cookies. That will give you a little more money for organics.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete